Monday, March 9, 2009

Looking Back

My recent diagnosis isn't my first brush with cancer. In May of 1996 I found an enlarged lymph node on my neck (left side)...the node was surgically removed and biopsied. Inititally the report came back that I had Hodgkin's Disease. This was confirmed by three different labs. I began seeing an oncologist, Dr. Harvey, at Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Dr. Harvey is the most incredible doctor! He put me at ease immediately and was very easy to talk to. He took TIME to discuss my concerns. Anyway, after a few visits at Hershey, their lab took a second look at my slides and changed the diagnosis to non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Horrors!

Preparations were being made to start chemo. I had countless blood tests, and a bone marrow biopsy which turned into a disaster for me; apparently my body didn't like what was going on and decided to go into shock...low BP, thirsty, sweaty, nausea, restless...a truly nasty feeling. After that little fiasco I decided if I EVER had to have another bone marrow biopsy, I'd want to be put under general anesthesia!

The day after my bone marrow biopsy, I got a phone call from Hershey Medical Center. They had good news!! Apparently the lymphoma experts looked yet again at my slides and determined that I didn't have lymphoma at all, but rather I had what is called
"atypical follicular lymphoid hyperplasia." No treatments would be needed. At my last visit with Dr. Harvey, he told me to "keep an eye on things, because people who have atypical hyperplasia often end up with lymphoma down the road."

After nearly a month of pure agony, I felt like I'd been released from a prison! I could begin to live again.

Twelve years later...here I am, newly diagnosed with follicular non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma...just what the good doc warned me might happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment