Thursday, April 30, 2009

Testing, Testing....

So my recent vitamin D test came back much improved, though not quite up to "normal" standards. My 25-OH result is now 42 ng/ml, and previously it had been 23 ng/ml. Optimal levels are between 45 and 52, so I'm almost there. I've been supplementing with 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily, in addition to 5 minutes in front of the vitamin D lamp every-other day, though now that I'm outside most of the day working in the garden and soaking up the rays, I've pretty much laid off using the lamp.

I had an appointment with Dr. P (my "alternative oncologist" who's been tracking my vitamin D levels) on April 8 to discuss my recent vitamin D test results and any other questions I might have. Dr. P was impressed with my recent weight loss due to my healthier eating habits...he commented multiple times on how good I looked! Chalk one up to a mostly vegetarian, sugar-free, trans-fat-free, wheat-free diet! I do FEEL great too.

Tomorrow I'm getting some routine blood work done (approximately 10 vials if it's anything like the last ones I've had done), and Saturday a.m. is another PET scan. I'm fairly confident that the scan will be good. And if it's not, well, I'll be very surprised!

While talking with Dr. P, he suggested I get a methyl B-12 shot, which I did there while at the office. He thought I might notice an improvement in my energy levels, but I didn't, really, so I'm wondering if I really need them. I've been feeling fairly energetic lately as it is.

I thank God daily for my new-found outlook on life...I feel more alive now that I've got cancer than I did in my pre-C days, partly due to the fact that I've been taking better care of myself, and partly because I view each day as a gift. And I think I'm even a little more playful..."Never take life too seriously...no one gets out alive anyway".

No comments:

Post a Comment